If you are a victim of identity theft and provide to a Credit Reporting Agency (CRA) a copy of a valid police report or a valid investigative report made by a Department of Motor Vehicles investigator with peace officer status describing your circumstances, the following shall apply:
* You may request that any information listed on the report as allegedly fraudulent be blocked so that it cannot be reported. The CRA must promptly notify you if the information is blocked.
* Information may be unblocked, based upon a preponderance of evidence. The permanently blocked information shall be unblocked if the information was blocked due to a material misrepresentation of the facts by you or fraud, or if you agree that the information is blocked in error, or if you knowingly obtained possession of goods, services, or moneys as a result of the blocked transactions. The CRA must promptly notify you if the information is unblocked.
For more information about the steps to take to set up an alert, credit reports, or report identity theft contact:
* Equifax: 1-800-525-6285 or www.equifax.com P.O. Box 740256 Atlanta, GA 30374
* Experian: 1-888-397-3742 or www.experian.com P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
* TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289 or www.transunion.com P.O. Box 2000 Chester, PA 19022-2000